- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup grits (NOT instant or quick cook)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 pound medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Begin boiling water in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- While water is coming to a boil, fry bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until crispy. Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Drain off fat from skillet, leaving about 2 tablespoons. Set skillet aside.
- Once water comes to a boil, slowly add grits, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Season shrimp with Old Bay Seasoning and black pepper.
- While grits are cooking, heat the 2 tablespoons of bacon grease over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add shrimp and cook an additional 3 minutes (or until shrimp have just turned pink), stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook until fragrant while stirring (about 30 seconds). Remove from heat.
- Once grits are thickened, add shredded cheese and stir until smooth and cheese has melted.
- Spoon shrimp mixture over grits and top with bacon and green onions.