For the Cupcakes:
- 2–1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk (I use whole milk)
- 1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
For the Cupcake Batter:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in cupcake tins (or grease).
- Whisk flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl until combined. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar for 5-6 minutes in a large bowl (using an electric mixer on medium speed), or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in sour cream, milk, red food coloring and vanilla extract until blended.
- Slowly beat in flour and cocoa mixture on low speed (do not over beat).
- Fill cupcake tins or liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake is removed clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Using electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth and creamy (approximately 1 minute).
- Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until mixed well.
- Increase mixer speed to high and beat until light and fluffy (about 4-6 minutes).
Slightly adapted from Allrecipes.com
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red velvet cupcakes, red velvet cupcake recipe, best red velvet cupcake recipe, moist red velvet cupcake recipe, homemade red velvet cupcakes