This creamy and savory macaroni and cheese with a hint of pumpkin flavor is the ultimate comforting fall pasta dish!
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Cook macaroni al dente (firm to the bite – about 1 minute before package instructed cook time) and drain.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Slowly add flour, about a tablespoon at a time, while whisking until smooth.
- Slowly add milk, whisking frequently until mixture just starts to boil and is thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in pumpkin, nutmeg, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Slowly add cheeses, one handful at a time, stirring until cheese is melted and mixture is combined.
- Remove from heat and add cooked and drained macaroni to cheese mixture. Stir well to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Spoon macaroni into an ungreased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs.
- Bake (uncovered) for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly around edges.
- Regular bread crumbs can be substituted for panko bread crumbs.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin mac n cheese, baked pumpkin mac and cheese