- 5 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion (about 1/4 of a large sweet onion)
- 1–1/2 pounds fresh green beans (rinsed well), ends removed and snapped in half
- 1–1/2 pounds small red (“new”) potatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (more or less, to taste)
- Cook bacon pieces in a large saucepan over medium heat until lightly browned (but not crispy), about 4-5 minutes. Add chopped onion and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add green beans and potatoes and cover with water. Add salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce heat to low and cover saucepan. Simmer gently for 50 minutes, or until green beans and potatoes are tender.