- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1/2 large onion)
- 1 cup sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup peeled and sliced carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small zucchini, chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup small shell pasta (I used elbow macaroni)
- Shredded parmesan cheese, for topping
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Saute onions, celery and carrots until tender, stirring constantly (about 6 minutes). Add garlic and cook an additional minute, continuing to stir.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, kidney beans, green beans, oregano, basil, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add macaroni and cook (uncovered) for 7-8 minutes, or until macaroni and vegetables are tender, stirring often to prevent macaroni from sticking to bottom of pot. Discard bay leaves before serving.
- Top with desired amount of shredded parmesan cheese.
Inspired by Taste of Home