A delicious sweet and salty side dish (or dessert) that is a perfect addition to your holiday feast!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 20 ounce can pineapple chunks drained - RESERVE 1/4 CUP OF JUICE FOR TOPPING
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple drained
- 2 cups buttery cracker crumbs Ritz - about 45 crackers
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup pineapple juice reserved from canned pineapple
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Whisk together sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add cheese and gently stir to combine. Add drained pineapple and stir again gently to combine well. Transfer pineapple mixture to prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
In a separate large bowl, stir together cracker crumbs, melted butter and pineapple juice.
Sprinkle buttery crumb mixture evenly over the top of the pineapple mixture in the baking dish. Bake (uncovered) for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling around edges.
Allow to stand for 5 to 10 minutes to allow pineapple mixture to thicken before serving. Serve warm.
- Ground nutmeg can be substituted for cinnamon, or use a mixture of both.
- I like to use a mixture of crushed pineapple and pineapple chunks because I like the texture, but you can also use all crushed, chunks or tidbits.