Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This creamy and cheesy potato soup loaded with bacon, cheese and green onions is the ultimate comfort food soup!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes 3 to 4 potatoes, about ½inch bite size pieces
- 3 green onions sliced (about ½½ cup sliced) and additional for garnish, if desired
- 1 cup diced or crumbled fully cooked bacon and additional for garnish, if desired
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese and additional for garnish, if desired
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt more or less, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper more or less, to taste
Melt butter in a soup pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Slowly add flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute. Gradually add milk while continuing to whisk constantly for 2 minutes.
Add potatoes and green onions and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer (uncovered) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring frequently. Add bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir until combined and cheese is melted.
Serve garnished with additional bacon, green onions and cheese, if desired.
- This recipe yields approximately 6 1/2 cups of soup (4 servings)
- Add additional milk for a thinner consistency, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat on the stove top in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- Adapted from Damn Delicious and Center Cut Cook