- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 average-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into approximately 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups cubed)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a dutch oven or soup pot. Add sweet potato cubes, onion and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until onion and celery are soft (stirring often).
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes with juices and black beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cover.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Adapted from What’s Gaby Cooking
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: sweet potato black bean chili, vegan sweet potato black bean chili