- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (about 1 medium pepper)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 2–1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 3 cups fully cooked shredded chicken
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups tightly packed chopped fresh kale
- Lime juice (desired amount) for topping
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or soup pot. Add onions and bell pepper. Cook for approximately 6 minutes, or until vegetables are softened, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook an an additional 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add chili powder, cumin, tomatoes with juices, chicken broth, black beans, corn and chicken. Season with desired amounts of salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add chopped kale, stir to combine and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until kale is tender.
- Top with desired amount of lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro.
Adapted from Eating Well