- 5 slices lean bacon, chopped
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce package) frozen butter beans (baby lima beans)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less, to taste)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon and onion until bacon is cooked and onions are tender (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add brown sugar and chicken broth. Cook until sugar is dissolved. Add frozen butter beans and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until tender. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
Adapted from Southern Living