A savory, comforting and delicious soup prepared with smoked sausage, cabbage, carrots, onions and tomatoes in a flavorful seasoned broth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (13 ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 small head of cabbage, cored and chopped into about 1 inch pieces (about 6 cups chopped)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add sausage slices, onions, carrots and celery and cook for approximately 7 minutes, or until vegetables are tender (stirring frequently). Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add tomatoes with juice, broth, thyme and oregano. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Once soup reaches a boil, add cabbage and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and simmer for 50 minutes, or until cabbage is tender. Season with desired amounts salt and pepper.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: smoked sausage and cabbage soup