This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Today I’m sharing one of my new favorite dishes: ragout of beef with cranberries & wild mushrooms. It is from my new cookbook, Falling Off the Bone by Jean Anderson.
This awesome cookbook focuses on how to create delicious meals with inexpensive cuts of meat. In a tough economy, it’s definitely a must-have for your cookbook collection!
In this recipe, the combination of beef, cranberries, red wine & cream offer a sweet, tart robust beef flavor that I’ve never experienced before–but want to revisit :-). This dish is inexpensive to prepare & goes a long way. Serve the ragout over rice, noodles or with potatoes. I served this recipe over egg noodles.
Menage a Trois was the red wine I used in the recipe; it is also inexpensive but the taste definitely doesn’t reflect the price, which makes me happy.
You have a chance to win a copy of this cookbook! Simply comment below this post & tell me your favorite meat dish, or if you’ve prepared a unique dish with an inexpensive cut of meat.
The winner will be chosen via random.org on Wednesday, April 18, 2012. Entrants must have a US mailing address. This contest is closed. Congratulations Donna, the lucky random winner….hope you enjoy this wonderful cookbook!
- 8 ounces uncooked egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast (trim excess fat), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 large shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cups dry red wine, such as Pinot Noir or Cabernet
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- (1) 16 ounce package fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in dutch oven or stock pot over medium high heat. Add 1/2 of beef cubes in melted butter & cook for 10 minutes, or until browned. Repeat for second half of meat. Transfer to a bowl & set aside.
- Add shallots, onions, mushrooms, thyme & rosemary to pot. Stirring often, saute for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Return beef & juices to pot. Add wine, beef broth, cranberry sauce, salt & pepper & bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Add cream & simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles.
Recipe adapted from Falling Off The Bone Cookbook
- Serving Size: 6 servings