- 1 loaf baguette
- 2 (6-ounce) packages sliced portabella mushrooms, cut into about 2-inch pieces
- 4 cups tightly packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Slice baguette evenly into 4 slices. Slice vertically across each top and hollow each slice out, pulling out the bread inside. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic and olive oil.
- Place mushrooms and red onion slices in a baking dish and pour marinade over. Stir and/or toss to coat mushrooms and red onions evenly. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Transfer mushrooms and red onions in their marinade to a large skillet over medium-high heat (keep baking dish to transfer mushroom/onion mixture back into). Cook over medium-high heat for about 6 minutes, stirring constantly, or until mushrooms are tender.
- Transfer mushrooms and onions back into marinade dish. Add fresh chopped spinach and stir well to combine. Spinach will wilt while your baguette is heating.
- Place baguette slices onto a baking sheet and bake for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from oven and stuff each baguette piece with mixture and top with shredded cheese. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Food Network
- Category: Vegetarian
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Portabella Mushroom and Spinach Subs