It’s so hard to believe that Thanksgiving is less than 3 weeks away! This Pineapple Casserole is definitely a must for your Thanksgiving table this year.
This dish is served as a southern side dish, but honestly tastes like a dessert to me. The combination of sharp cheddar cheese, pineapple and cinnamon with a crunchy buttery topping is absolutely one of the best things you’ll ever taste. Trust me, I know it sounds a little “different”, but the taste is absolutely AMAZING! 🙂
I like to use a mixture of pineapple chunks and crushed pineapple to have various textures of pineapple, but you can use crushed, chunks or tidbits. I also add just a hint of ground cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon), but by all means, add more (or some ground nutmeg!) if you are a lover of cinnamon and/or nutmeg.
The crunchy, buttery topping truly brings this casserole together. A lot of pineapple casserole recipes only call for buttery crackers and melted butter for the topping, but I add a little pineapple juice to my topping to give it an extra added burst of pineapple flavor.
The crunchy, buttery topping is what takes this casserole to a whole new level. Just crush some buttery crackers and mix with melted butter and pineapple juice. OH MY WORD!
What’s your favorite holiday dish to make with pineapple? Please let me know in the comments below!Print
A delicious, sweet and savory holiday side dish!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups packed shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained – RESERVE 1/4 CUP OF JUICE FOR TOPPING
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups buttery cracker crumbs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add cheese and gently stir to combine. Add drained pineapple and stir again gently to combine well. Place pineapple mixture in prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together melted butter, cracker crumbs and pineapple juice by stirring gently with a spoon.
- Sprinkle buttery crumb mixture evenly over the top of the pineapple mixture in the baking dish. Bake (uncovered) for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling around edges.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pineapple casserole
Adapted from Food Network