These Pimento Cheese Au Gratin Potatoes are so cheesy and savory… a southern twist on a favorite classic!
One of my favorite things to enjoy is pimento cheese. And potatoes. This is about as southern as potatoes get! A little chili powder gives these potatoes and extra kick but they’re definitely not too overly-spicy.
Ohhhhh yes! I could eat a huge bowl of these as a meal. They’d be a perfect side dish for just about any main course if you’re a pimento cheese lover like I am.
A delicious southern twist on classic au gratin potatoes!
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped shallots (about 3 shallots)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) jar sliced pimentos (very well drained – reserve 2 tablespoons of liquid)
- 2 tablespoons reserved liquid from pimentos
- 2 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Place oven racks in middle and top position. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil with 2 teaspoons of the salt in a large pot. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- While potatoes are cooking, combine heavy cream, shallots, chili powder, the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper and reserved pimento liquid in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Spray a small baking dish with cooking spray. Layer 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle half of the sliced pimentos on top of the potatoes. Repeat until all of the potatoes and pimentos have been used.
- Pour cheese mixture over potatoes and pimentos. Carefully shake dish to distribute cheese mixture. Cover with aluminum foil and bake on middle rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven, uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Place dish on top oven rack and bake until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned, about 8 to 9 minutes.
Adapted from Country Living
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pimento cheese au gratin potatoes