Using a prepared coleslaw mix slashes time in this easy, zesty and flavorful Mexican Coleslaw.
For the cabbage mixture:
- 1 (14-ounce) bag prepared coleslaw mix (deli-style)*
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced (about 1/4 cup diced)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup tightly packed chopped fresh cilantro
For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Toss together the coleslaw mix, jalapeño peppers, red onion and cilantro in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together lime zest, lime juice, honey, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and cumin in a small bowl. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate 20 to 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to combine.
- *The bagged coleslaw mix yields about 7-1/2 cups. If you want to make your own coleslaw mix, use a mixture of 7 cups shredded (or very thinly sliced) green and red cabbage and 1/2 cup shredded carrots.
- This is best served 20 to 30 minutes after refrigerating, but can be refrigerated (in an airtight container) and served within 24 hours.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican coleslaw, cilantro lime coleslaw