This creamy and cheesy potato soup loaded with bacon, cheese and green onions is the ultimate comfort food soup!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes (3 to 4 potatoes, about 1/2-inch bite size pieces)
- 3 green onions, sliced (about 1/2 cup sliced) and additional for garnish, if desired
- 1 cup diced or crumbled fully cooked bacon (and additional for garnish, if desired)
- 1–1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (and additional for garnish, if desired)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- Melt butter in a soup pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Slowly add flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute. Gradually add milk while continuing to whisk constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and green onions and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer (uncovered) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring frequently. Add bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir until combined and cheese is melted.
- Serve garnished with additional bacon, green onions and cheese, if desired.
- This recipe yields approximately 6-1/2 cups of soup (4 servings)
- Add additional milk for a thinner consistency, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat on the stove top in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- Adapted from Damn Delicious and Center Cut Cook
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked potato soup, loaded potato soup recipe