For the bread:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 1/4 cups granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup Crisco® vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (1 medium lemon)
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds and the granulated sugar. Add the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir well with a large spoon until smooth.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread is removed clean.
- While the bread is baking, prepare the glaze by stirring together powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until blended. Add more or less lemon juice for desired consistency.
- Cool bread for 10 minutes in the loaf pan, then place bread on a wire rack to cool. Drizzle with glaze.
- Category: Breads
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon poppy seed bread