A hearty and comforting soup packed with sausage, spinach and cheese tortellini.
- 1 pound mild sausage
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 (5 ounce) package baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place sausage and onions in a dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Cook until sausage is browned and no longer pink, crumbling sausage with a wooden spoon while cooking.
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Add chicken broth, water, diced tomatoes and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and return to a boil. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until tortellini is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low and add spinach, Italian seasoning and pepper. Stir well to combine. Cook an additional 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted and tortellini are tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: italian tortellini soup