- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 4 cups cubed, chopped or shredded fully cooked ham
- 1–1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional: fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Rinse and sort peas in a colander, removing and discarding any debris.
- Place beans and remaining ingredients (except parsley) in the insert of your Instant Pot and stir well to combine.
- Place the lid on and lock. Steam release knob should be set on “sealing”.
- Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 15 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 20 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and stir. Remove and discard bay leaf. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- Cook time includes the time it took my pot to come to pressure and natural pressure release time.
- I used an Instant Pot LUX80 8-Quart in this recipe.