Hearty, comforting and satisfying beef stew prepared in a fraction of the time using your pressure cooker!
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast (excess fat removed) cut into approximately 1-1/2 inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3–1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups chopped)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup sliced)
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 (8-ounce) package baby bella mushrooms, sliced (omit mushrooms if you’re not a mushroom fan!)
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into approximately 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Season beef chunks with desired amounts of salt and pepper.
- Pour olive oil into an 8-quart Instant Pot and select high the saute function. Allow olive oil to heat. In two separate batches, brown the meat on all sides, stirring frequently (approximately 4 minutes each batch). Return first cooked batch of stew meat to pot after browning second batch.
- Add beef broth, tomato paste and browning sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, garlic, brown sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, oregano and bay leaves.
- Place the lid on pressure cooker and lock. Steam release knob should be set on “sealing”. Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 35 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Quick release remaining pressure and carefully remove lid.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth. Turn off Instant Pot and then turn on to the saute function. Add cornstarch mixture, thawed peas and stir to combine. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes (stirring frequently) or until broth is thickened and peas are warmed.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- I used an Instant Pot LUX80 8 quart in this recipe.
- Cook time includes time it takes for pot to come to pressure and natural release time.