This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
It’s so easy to make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning right at home with spices you probably already have on-hand!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Have you (like me) ever started making tacos and realize at the last minute that you forgot to get a package of taco seasoning? Don’t fret because this recipe mixes up in about 2 minutes flat. Not only is this taco seasoning packed with flavor, it’s also budget-friendly, too.
Is This Taco Seasoning Mild or Hot?
I’d say this seasoning is considered “medium”, right between mild and hot. It’s not mild and it’s not overly hot but does have a little kick from the crushed red pepper.
If you prefer it on the milder side, I’d omit the crushed red pepper. If you like it hot, feel free to add more crushed red pepper and/or cayenne pepper.
How Much of This Taco Seasoning Do You Use in a Pound of Ground Beef?
I use 2 tablespoons of this seasoning in one pound of ground beef. This recipe yields 4 tablespoons, so half the recipe for 1 pound (or store the remaining 2 tablespoons in an airtight container for later).
You can even double or triple the recipe so that you’ll always have it on-hand. It lasts for up to 6 months when stored properly in a cool, dry place.
DIY taco seasoning is so easy to make right at home and budget-friendly, too!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1–1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Transfer to an airtight container or spice jar. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- For a milder seasoning, omit red pepper flakes.
- For a hotter seasoning, increase red pepper flakes and/or add cayenne pepper.
- For using in ground beef for taco meat: Brown 1 pound ground beef in a skillet until fully cooked and no longer pink. Drain off grease. Add 2 tablespoons taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water and stir to combine. Simmer until majority of water has evaporated.
- Category: Spices
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: homemade taco seasoning, DIY taco seasoning