It seems as if it costs more and more each day to eat healthy. A small quality bag of granola is around $6 where I live. We love to eat granola as cereal with fresh fruit in soy milk, as a snack or to add in yogurt.
This easy Honey Nut Granola is delicious AND budget-friendly!
I had an overage of oats and pecans in my pantry and needed to do something with them.
My recipe uses milled golden flaxseed. According to the Mayo Clinic, ground flaxseed has an abundance of health benefits, such as improving digestive health, reducing cholesterol levels, and may reduce the risk of heart disease. That’s a mighty big roundup for such a small seed. You know the old saying: “big things come in small packages“.
Start with mixing oats, nuts (I used pecans), ground flax seed and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix olive oil, honey, brown sugar, water, salt and vanilla. If you’re going to add dried fruit like I did, add it last after the granola has finished cooking and cooled. I used raisins, but it’s also great with dried cranberries, banana chips, or what ever your heart desires.
Pour the liquid mixture into the granola mixture and stir well to combine.
Spread the granola mixture out evenly in a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper, lightly grease the pan.
Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour (or until browned and crisp), stirring every 10-15 minutes so that the bottom of the granola doesn’t burn.
Your wallet will profusely thank you if you purchase prepared granola at the grocery store on a regular basis!Print
Homemade Honey Nut Granola
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 5 ½ cups of granola
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup golden milled flaxseed
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, pecans, flaxseed and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, mix honey, brown sugar, oil, water, salt and vanilla.
- Add liquid mixture to oat mixture and stir with a large spoon to combine.
- Spread evenly over baking sheet.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour (or until browned and crunchy), stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack. Add raisins and stir to combine.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: honey nut granola
Rate & Comment