Hamburger Steak smothered in gravy with mushrooms and onions is a hearty and comforting dinner that is quick and easy to make!
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1–1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Mix together the beef, egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and Worcershire sauce just until combined (do not over-mix). Shape into 4 (1/4 pound) patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add patties and cook until browned on each side (approximately 3-4 minutes each side).
- Place patties on a plate and set aside (leave drippings in skillet).
- Add onions and mushrooms and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes (stirring frequently).
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms onions. Stir well while scraping bits of beef off of bottom and sides of pan.
- Slowly add beef broth and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Return patties to skillet and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until patties are fully cooked.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
*For gravy with a thinner consistency, use 3 tablespoons flour.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hamburger steak with onions and gravy, hamburger steak and gravy recipe