This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
This weekend I was bad. REALLY. BAD. I ate greasy pizza with tons of cheese, meat and more cheese. Not once, but TWICE. I felt so guilty that I had pizza again tonight… but a lot more on the healthier side: Grilled Eggplant Pizza.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
I came across this recipe for a different grilled pizza on Pillsbury’s website using their artisan refrigerated pizza crust. The crust has 16 grams of whole grain per serving, so I felt really good about this pizza (unlike this weekend!).
I sliced 3 baby eggplants, brushed them with olive oil and sprinkled them with Italian seasoning. Then I grilled them for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
Next, I grilled the crust, then removed the crust from the grate onto aluminum foil to add the toppings.
I added prepared pizza sauce, the grilled eggplant slices, sliced peppers, fresh basil and an Italian cheese blend. Then I placed it back on the grill on the aluminum, and closed the grill to melt the cheese.
Oh. My. Goodness.
Don’t knock it until you try it. It is definitely on my grilling list to make again this summer!Print
- 3 baby eggplants (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- 1 can (13.8 ounces) Pillsbury artisan pizza crust
- 1/2 cup prepared pizza sauce (more or less, to taste)
- 1–1/2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (I also used yellow)
- 2/3 cup torn basil leaves
- Heat charcoal or gas grill. Cut eggplants crosswise into rounds about 3/8 inches thick. Brush with olive oil on both sides, then sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Place eggplant slices on the grate over medium-high heat. Cover and grill for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned. Remove from grill.
- Cover a large baking sheet with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Spray foil with cooking spray. Unroll the dough onto the foil. Working from the center of the dough, roll out the dough into a 14×10 inch rectangle. Spray the top of the dough with cooking spray.
- Turn the dough rectangle over directly onto the grate. Remove the foil and return the foil to the baking sheet.
- Grill uncovered on a gas grill over medium-low heat or on charcoal grill 4-6 inches from medium-low coals 3-4 minutes, or until bottom is golden brown. WATCH CAREFULLY to prevent burning the crust.
- using a wide grilling spatula, turn the crust over. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until bottom is slightly browned. Remove from grill and place brown side up on foil. Close grill.
- Top crust with pizza sauce, grilled eggplant, sliced peppers, basil and cheese.
- Return pizza to grill on foil and cover grill. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Inspired by Pillsbury’s Grilled Sausage and Pepper Pizza