- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped or sliced yellow onion (about 1–1/2 large onions)
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (and additional thyme for garnish, if desired)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 (10.5-ounce) cans beef broth
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 4 French bread slices
- Provolone cheese slices (1-2 slices per bowl)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (about a tablespoon per bowl)
- Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish (if desired)
- Melt butter in a soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook onions until soft and caramelized, stirring often, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add beef broth and red wine. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15-20 minutes (uncovered). Remove and discard bay leaf.
- When ready to serve, turn on your oven broiler. Ladle soup into oven-safe bowls or ramekins. Top with bread, provolone cheese slices and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place bowls on a cookie sheet and broil until cheese is melted, bubbly and a light golden brown. Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: french onion soup, french onion soup recipe, easy french onion soup, onion soup, french onion