- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 green onions, sliced (and extra for garnish, if desired)
- Optional: fried wonton strips
- Pour 5 cups of the chicken broth in a dutch oven or large saucepan over medium high heat. Add ginger, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- While the broth is reaching a boil, pour the remaining 1 cup of chicken broth in a small bowl and add the cornstarch. Whisk until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk.
- Once broth reaches a boil, slowly pour in whisked eggs, a little at a time (about 2 tablespoons at a time) whisking the eggs in the boiling broth each time.
- Add onions and stir to combine.
- Add cornstarch mixture and stir to combine. Add sesame oil and stir again to combine.
- Top with additional sliced green onions and/or fried wonton strips.