Creamy and cozy Chicken and Dumplings prepared with Anne’s frozen dumplings and a few easy shortcuts. It’s the ultimate cold weather comfort food!
- 1 (2-1/2 to 3-pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10-1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10-1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 12 ounces frozen Anne’s Flat Dumplings (1/2 of a 24-ounce package – 8 sheets)
- Place whole chicken, celery, onion, bay leaves, sage, dill, salt and pepper in a 6-quart Dutch oven (or large soup pot) and cover with water (just enough to cover chicken).
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear (internal temperature should be 165 degrees F).
- Carefully remove chicken and place on a platter or cutting board. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Remove skin from chicken and discard. Remove chicken from bones and shred. Discard bones. Set chicken aside.
- Add cream of chicken soup and cream of celery soup to pot. Stir well to combine. Return to a boil over medium high heat.
- While returning to a boil, remove dumplings from freezer (they will need to thaw about 5 minutes so they’re easier to separate) and slice or break each dumpling slice into half or thirds.
- Once boiling, slowly add dumplings, a handful at a time, stirring between each addition.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 20 minutes (or until dumplings are tender and cooked), stirring frequently so that dumplings do not stick together.
- Stir in chicken and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Prep time includes time for chicken to cool and shredding chicken.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken and dumplings, easy chicken and dumplings