- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound sliced fresh baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup half and half
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until tender.
- Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder and 2 cups of the chicken broth in a large measuring cup or small bowl until smooth. Pour into mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
- Add remaining broth and bay leaf and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly for about 1-2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Add half and half and stir to combine. Simmer (uncovered) for 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.