Okay, okay. I know I’m on a seafood kick this week. Ya see this sandwich? It’s messy. Ooohhh so messy. One of those kinds of sandwiches that you need a cold beer chasin’ it down. This Crab and Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich is my kind of sandwich!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I possess social graces that I use when necessary. But when I eat a sandwich like this, they fly right out the window. That’s okay.
I had an extra container of crab meat that I purchased when I recently made Crab, Corn & Egg Casserole. I thought I might need both containers but I didn’t.
So I slapped some Swiss cheese on pumpernickel bread brushed with melted butter seasoned with some Old Bay Seasoning. Then I smothered it with caramelized onions.
I added sliced fresh avocados and crab meat (and another slice of bread brushed with Old Bay butter). Cooked it for about 5 minutes (2 1/2 minutes on each side) over medium heat. O.M.G.!
Now, I really can’t take credit for all of this. I thought I had had come up with an ingenious recipe. I searched the web & saw that That’s So Michelle beat me to the punch. I changed it up a little, but I still need to give credit where it is due. 🙂
So, put your bibs on, pop a cold one & enjoy this deliciously messy sandwich. Cheers!
- 4 ounces crabmeat (more or less, to taste)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread (or any bread you desire)
- 4 California avocado slices (about ½ of an avocado)
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ stick (1/4 cup) butter
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onion. Cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until onions are evenly browned & caramelized, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl & set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add Old Bay seasoning & stir well to combine.
- Brush butter onto bread slices using a basting brush. Place buttered sides of bread into a skillet over medium heat.
- Add Swiss cheese slices, caramelized onions, crabmeat & avocado slices.
- Cook for about 2½ to 3 minutes on each side, or until cheese is melted.