Today I’m going to share a recipe I was a little weary of trying but ended up LOVING. St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner & I just HAD to try it: Pizza with Corned Beef, Cabbage & Potatoes. I’ve just come to the realization that pizza can’t be screwed up. No matter WHAT you put on it! (Well, that’s my theory anyway). 🙂
So I started by putting some olive oil in my Calphalon Everyday Pan & cooking some cabbage in it. I LOVE this pan & use it almost daily…..I guess that’s why they call it the “Everyday Pan”….duh. It is so versatile because you can saute, fry, simmer & sear with it.
While the cabbage is simmering, thinly slice a large potato. Toss the slices in olive oil, salt & pepper. Place on a single layer on a baking sheet. I lined my baking sheet with parchment paper so I’d be sure the potatoes wouldn’t stick. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 425 degrees F, or until they’re golden brown.
Slice some deli corned beef (like you buy for sandwiches) into squares for the pizza:
This was my dog (my “baby”), Chance while I was slicing the corned beef ~ just had to share! Yes, I gave him a little piece 🙂
Once the cabbage has finished simmering; about 20 minutes, drain it in a colander and drain it good; you don’t want the pizza to be all watery. I took a wooden spoon and pressed the cabbage really good to get out as much water as I could.
I used a simple Pillsbury Classic refrigerated pizza dough crust on my rectangle pizza stone. If you have a pizza stone, dust it with cornmeal or flour, and then shape your dough to it. Rub some olive oil & minced garlic on the dough. I also added some fresh cracked pepper.
By this time your potatoes should be browned & you’ve set them aside. Place the pizza dough in the oven at 425 degrees F for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and place your toppings on the pizza: shredded mozzarella, pepper jack, & Parmesan cheeses, corned beef, cabbage & potatoes. I sprinkled some extra Parmesan cheese on top ~ because I just love cheese :-).
And it was good. So good I know I will make it again; not just for St. Patrick’s Day!Print
- (1) Refrigerated pizza dough crust
- 4 cups sliced green cabbage
- 4 ounces deli sliced corned beef, cut into about 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 large potato, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (2 tbsp for cooking cabbage 2 tbsp for potatoes & 1 tbsp for pizza dough)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cornmeal OR flour for dusting pizza stone
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat in skillet.
- Add cabbage, salt & pepper and cook until just tender; about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add approximately 2 cups of water to just cover the cabbage.
- Bring water to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Drain cabbage very well in colander once it has finished simmering & set aside.
- Toss sliced potatoes in olive oil, salt & pepper in a bowl.
- Place potato slices (in a single layer) on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Prepare your pizza dough: if using a pizza stone, dust lightly with cornmeal or flour.
- Unroll dough onto pizza stone or cookie sheet.
- Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil & spread minced garlic over dough. Sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper (optional).
- By this time your potatoes should be finished cooking; remove from oven & set aside.
- Place pizza dough in oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove pizza dough from oven and layer toppings: cheeses, corned beef, cabbage & potatoes.
- Return to oven & bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown & cheese is bubbly.
Recipe adapted from Food Network