See these luscious little macaroon nuggets? They ROCK.
Easter Sunday is approaching and I was wondering what I could make that was a “bite-sized” dessert…..FOUND IT! 🙂 I’ve made coconut cookies before, but never macaroons. And being that the weather has been warmer, I’ve been dreaming tropical thoughts….that’s where the lime also came into play.
The flavors of these candied coconut bites with hints of citrus were a “home run” in my little kitchen. I will definitely be making them again. And again.
I started by doing my usual prep work (there wasn’t much) by first grating my lime for the lime zest I would need. I started with my hand zester, but ended up using the zester side of my cheese grater because it made the little lime peel pieces smaller.
I used a cookie scooper to place the little “mounds” of coconut dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If you don’t have one of those little cookie scoops, it was about a tablespoon of the “dough”.
The macaroons were baked for about 18 minutes. Since I recently moved, I realized oven times vary, so I would say 15-20 minutes (or until they’re golden brown). Some of the coconut flakes will look darker ~ that’s normal. 🙂
Behold: my new favorite coconut dessert!Print
- (1) 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- (1) 14 ounce bag sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT coconut and stir well to combine.
- Add coconut & gently stir well to combine.
- Using a cookie scooper, scoop mounds (about a tablespoon for each cookie) of the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, approximately 1 inch apart.
- Bake (1 baking sheet at a time) for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown & macaroons are set.
- Remove from oven & place baking sheet on wire cooling rack for 5 minutes before removing macaroons.
Nutritional Information:calories 70 (from fat 30), total fat 3.6g (sat 3.1g), cholesterol 3mg, sodium 49mg, carbohydrates 8.4g, fiber 0.6g, protein 0.8g
- Serving Size: 1 macaroon