Sometimes I just get a craving for something “carby” and creamy. I can’t help it. If I don’t go ahead and make it, I will eat everything else trying to find that satisfaction, and then end up eating what I originally wanted in the first place…..so I’ve learned to just go ahead and cook it.
I normally make a Parmesan cream sauce when I get that craving, but that gets boring after a while. So I decided to try and spruce it up with some amaretto instead. The sweet almond scent of amaretto smelled so good while it was cooking; and tasted even better. And I’m going to make Italian margaritas with the leftover amaretto tonight 🙂 (yay it’s Friday!).
Here’s how you make this creamy amaretto chicken dish. You start with cutting up your chicken breasts into little pieces, about an inch or so big.
Then you’ll use a slotted spoon to spoon out the chicken mixture from the pan and place in a bowl, leaving the drippings in the pan. Using the same pan, you’ll add more butter and let it melt over medium high heat. Then you’ll add the amaretto…..then some chicken broth…..then heavy cream…..returning to a boil and letting it simmer down in between each addition.
Once the cream sauce is cooked to the thickness and consistency you want it, return the chicken mixture to the pan and add some fresh sliced green onions. Simmer for 3-5 minutes and serve over your favorite pasta (I used fettuccine).Print
- Your favorite pasta (I used fettuccine)
For the Chicken Mixture:
- Approximately 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in to 1 inch pieces
- 6 oz package of fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the Amaretto Cream Sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, with tops (add last)
- Melt 1 tbsp butter over medium high heat in saute/skillet.
- Add garlic, chicken, mushrooms, salt & pepper.
- Saute approximately 8 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Using slotted spoon, remove chicken mixture from pan & place in a bowl. Set aside. Leave the drippings in the pan to make the amaretto cream sauce.
- Add 2 tbsp butter to the chicken drippings and melt over medium high heat.
- Add amaretto liqueur, stir and simmer until it is cooked “down”; approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring back to a simmer, stirring. Cook for another 7-10 minutes.
- Now would be a good time to start boiling your water for your pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add heavy whipping cream, bringing back to a simmer again, cooking for approximately 5-7 minutes, or until it’s the desired thickness/consistency that you want.
- Return chicken mixture to amaretto cream sauce.
- Add green onions & mix well.
- Simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Serve over pasta.