I have a confession to make: I have NEVER cooked or eaten bok choy until making this Chicken & Bok Choy Stir Fry this year.
My mom grew the most beautiful, organic bok choy in her garden and I had no idea what to do with it. Actually, I can’t even honestly say I cooked this… my friend did.
I can’t believe I’ve been missing out on this sweet, nutrient-packed vegetable all of this time!
What I found interesting about the way he cooks it is that he used a pack of taco seasoning and brown sugar to flavor the stir fry (I had my doubts!).
It was phenomenal. And pretty simple, too!
What is your favorite way to prepare bok choy?
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups cooked rice, prepared according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2.5 pounds) cut into chunks or strips
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large head bok choy, roughly chopped
- Before preparing the rice, boil the carrots in the water you'll be using for your rice (4 minutes covered). Remove carrots and set aside. Proceed to cook your rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add chicken and onions. Cook until chicken is lightly browned and just cooked, approximately 7-8 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning, brown sugar, cooked carrots and bok choy. Cover and cook additional 3-5 minutes, or until bok choy is tender. Serve over cooked rice.