On Sundays, I like to eat at an awesome restaurant on the Morehead City water front where I live in NC. Yesterday was my “Sunday Funday”, & I had one of the most phenomenal sandwiches E-V-E-R.
Who would have thought? Blackened shrimp on a BLT ~ and the bread was that sweet Hawaiian bread ~ and there was a yummy red pepper aioli sauce on it. I enjoyed it so much I had to make it a few days later. Yes, it was that good I could eat it again and again!
Start with frying up some crispy bacon slices – about 3 slices for each sandwich. This recipe is good for about four sandwiches, so I fried 12 slices of bacon. If you like more bacon on your BLTs, then by all means, fry up some more! 🙂 Then set aside the fried bacon while you prepare the shrimp for blackening.
Toss about 3/4 pound of large shrimp (that are peeled, deveined and rinsed) with blackening seasoning and coat evenly.
Over medium high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet. Place shrimp in skillet (one layer) and cook for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Place on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining shrimp (you’ll probably need to melt another tablespoon of butter!).
I just loved the taste of the sweet Hawaiian bread on this sandwich. I found it in the deli section of my local grocery store. Did you know that if you purchase packaged bread that is not sliced, they will slice it for you in the deli? Well, I didn’t know until someone told me!
See how perfectly sliced it is? I could have NEVER gotten it that perfect!
Now you’re ready to roll with layering everything: bacon, shrimp, tomato, lettuce and your choice of condiment(s). Enjoy!Print
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined and rinsed
- 12 slices bacon, fried crispy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices Hawaiian bread (or bread of your choice)
- Blackening seasoning
- Tomato slices
For the blackened shrimp BLTs:
- Fry bacon slices until desired crispiness. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Toss shrimp in blackening seasoning to coat well.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Place one layer of shrimp in skillet; cook for approximately 2 minutes on each side, or until cooked.
- Repeat with remaining butter and shrimp.
- Place shrimp on a paper towel lined plate.
- Toast bread (optional).
- Layer bacon, shrimp, tomato, lettuce on toasted bread with desired amount of red pepper aioli sauce, or condiment of your choice.
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blackened shrimp blt