We love fresh veggies around here; salads especially. But after a while, I just want something green and different while still being healthy (but not too difficult to prepare). Here’s where these little babies come into play: veggie stuffed zucchini boats.
They’re stuffed with fresh basil, tomatoes, red onion, garlic, pulp from the zucchini, cheese and crushed buttery crackers. I get excited just thinking about ’em :-).
Scraping out the pulp from the zucchini is fun to me…it might even be something your kids enjoy helping you with in the kitchen.
I’ve found that they also reheat well the next day. We’re having these little veggie boats with grilled Italian turkey sausage links tonight ~ a perfect “breakaway” from the salads we’ve been eating for the past week! 🙂 Enjoy!
- 4 medium zucchini
- 20 buttery crackers (such as Ritz), crushed
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped loosely packed fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash zucchini & slice off each end. Halve each zucchini lengthwise & scrape out pulp using a spoon. Coarsely chop the pulp & transfer to a medium bowl.
- Place zucchini shells on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray & bake for 10 minutes.
- While the zucchini are baking, add basil, garlic, red onion, chopped tomato, half of the mozzarella cheese, and crushed crackers to the chopped zucchini pulp. Stir well to combine.
- Stuff each zucchini "boat" with the mixture, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until heated thoroughly and cheese is melted.