I promised my friend I would run this half marathon with her next month. I’m so
freaked out excited about it! I ran my first (and only) half marathon a few months ago and it was hell great! No, really, it was one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done for myself. And it IS something that you do for YOURSELF because it takes a lot of work to accomplish.
I don’t care about my time; I feel like a “winner” just to freakin’ cross the finish line. I’ve never been competitive against anyone but myself. Maybe in an innocent “healthy” way with my friend that I run with (her name is Amy also). We cheer each other on & don’t take it too seriously…….and celebrate with a
cold beer (or two….) afterwards.
So I’ve been trying to eat right (it’s hard) & prepare food that will help me to endure trying to do this all over again. One of the recipes I came up with recently was penne pasta with Italian turkey sausage, kale, squash and leeks.
I’ve been fortunate to be able to work from home pretty much full time lately, so I have more time to think about FOOD. I don’t know if that’ s a good thing or not :|. Once I started this blog, I got crazy busy with website jobs. I’ve finally figured out what I want to do and be when I grow up….and that’s to blog about food and build websites…..YAY (LOL)!
Maybe it’s been the gorgeous warm weather that sparked a craving for yellow squash; it reminds me of summer time.
I felt pretty good about all this……the healthy turkey sausage for protein, colorful veggies, and those lovely CARBS for energy. :-). And it tasted good too.
Super simple to prepare; you can use pretty much any type of pasta that strikes your fancy. I just happened to have penne pasta in my pantry.
Prepare the pasta according to package directions while you’re cooking the kale. Cut the stems from the kale, chop, and place in boiling water with a little salt. Cook until tender; about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside.
In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and minced garlic over medium high heat. Remove turkey sausage from casings and place in the skillet. I used a wooden spoon to break the sausage up into little chunks while I was cooking it. When it’s browned, add a sliced yellow squash and a sliced leek. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cover & cook for about 10 minutes, until squash is tender. Add the drained kale and cook for an additional few minutes to mingle all the flavors. Serve over your favorite pasta. Oh yeah, and I sprinkled some shredded Parmesan cheese on top. Yum-O! 🙂 What is your favorite pasta dish?
- 1 pound (16 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links; removed from casings
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed & chopped
- 1 leek, sliced (about a cup)
- 1 yellow squash, sliced (about 1½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces penne pasta, prepared according to package directions
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional: ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil; add chopped kale & cook until tender--about 5 minutes. Drain in colander & set aside.
- Bring another saucepan of water to a boil & cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Heat olive oil & garlic in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add turkey sausage & cook until browned, using a wooden spoon to break up the sausage in chunks.
- Add squash, leeks, salt & pepper; stir to combine.
- Cover; cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until squash is tender.
- Add kale & cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
- Optional: sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese.