I seemed to have magically put on 5 pounds over the holidays. Really don’t know how it happened. It’s like I woke up one morning and had trouble buttoning my jeans. So when a potato craving hit, I compromised and made these Skinny Scalloped Potatoes.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Maybe it’s got something to do with my eating
and drinking everything in front of me for the past 6 weeks.
I don’t know about you, but I just can’t give up certain foods when it comes to losing weight. I tell myself it’s all about compromise and moderation. We still have to live and enjoy life, and food is one of the simple pleasures that we all enjoy.
One of my weaknesses is potatoes. Cheesy. Creamy. Potatoes. I had a craving for some scalloped potatoes, but wanted to be mindful of the recent pact with myself to practice this “compromise and moderation” thing.
So I used almond milk instead of whole milk or heavy cream and low-fat cheese. It didn’t affect the taste, and was actually pretty darn awesome. There was my compromise, without the guilt.
This recipe is crazy simple and easy to prepare. These skinny scalloped potatoes are creamy and delicious… if you’re in the mood for comfort food without the guilt, you must give this a try!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you’ll never miss a recipe!
- 5 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, reserve ½ cup for topping
- Optional: ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 1 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add in flour, whisking until smooth.
- Slowly add almond milk, continuing to whisk.
- Add minced garlic, salt and cayenne pepper. Continue to cook, whisking frequently, until smooth and boiling.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup of the shredded cheese to saucepan. Whisk until smooth.
- Layer ½ of the sliced potatoes in the bottom of casserole dish.
- Pour ½ of the cheese sauce over potatoes. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.