I recently put all of my favorite baked potato toppings together in this hearty and comforting Loaded Baked Potato Soup!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Oh my word. As much as I love loaded baked potatoes and soup, I can’t believe I’ve never made this before! I had potatoes left over from Kale Soup and green onions left over from Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps so this potato soup was perfect for me not to let anything go to waste.
This was a perfect soup for Valentine’s weekend! Speaking of Valentine’s, I hope you and your sweetie had a great weekend. I had an absolute blast… and I went out with my girlfriends! We spent the whole day hopping around the waterfront and drinking craft beer (cab ride home, of course!). I love it when spontaneous, last-minute gatherings turn into an entire day of fun.
I even dressed Baby up in one of my sweater dresses and got some laughs before I made this soup (LOL!). She is so tolerant of me… thank goodness. 🙂
Back to this amazing soup. Seriously… how can you go wrong with potato chunks in a creamy cheese sauce with bacon, green onions and mushrooms? I am a hard-core mushroom LOVER but if you’re not just simply omit them. When I took the first bite I was overwhelmed at how delicious this soup tasted.
If you’re a baked potato lover like me, do yourself a favor and MAKE THIS SOUP. You won’t be disappointed!
- 6 slices bacon, fully cooked and crumbled (about 1 cup crumbled) and additional bacon for garnish, if desired
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups peeled and cubed (into bite size pieces) russet potatoes (about 3-4 potatoes)
- ½ cup sliced green onions (about 3) and additional green onions for garnish, if desired
- 1 (6-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese and additional for garnish, if desired
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a soup pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Slowly add flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute. Gradually add milk while continuing to whisk constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and green onions and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Garnish with additional crumbled bacon, green onions and cheese if desired.