I just adore the smell of bread baking during the holidays (well, during any season)… especially this moist and sweet Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Lemon Icing!
Today’s recipe is sponsored by the J.M. Smucker Company. All opinions shared are 100% my own.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
What’s your favorite bread to bake during the holidays? I’ve always loved lemon poppy seed bread and consider it a dessert. What I can’t believe is that I’ve never baked it until now — because this recipe is so easy! Better late than never, I guess. Do you have a recipe “bucket list”, too? My list is growing by the minute but I was able to check this sweet bread off. 🙂
Speaking of the holidays, I received the BEST CHRISTMAS GIFT EVER this year! Today I got the news that my senior rescue dog, Baby, is cancer-free. The lump she had removed was cancerous, but it was a low grade cancer and there were no cancer cells in the margins when they removed it. What a joyful Christmas it will be!
So I celebrated by baking a loaf of this bread and ate a couple of slices. I wanted to give Baby a little piece, but I have to start being more careful about feeding her a little food here and there… when I took her to the vet she had gained SEVEN pounds since I got her a few months ago. Big girl weighs a whopping 76 pounds! Oops. 🙁
I purchased the Crisco® Vegetable Oil for this recipe during my recent trip to Publix. What a fun day that was Christmas shopping and having lunch with an old friend!
Merry Christmas and happy baking!
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/4 cups granulated white sugar
- ½ cup Crisco® vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (1 medium lemon)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds and the granulated sugar. Add the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir well with a large spoon until smooth.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread is removed clean.
- While the bread is baking, prepare the icing by stirring together powdered sugar and lemon juice until blended. Add more or less lemon juice for desired consistency of icing.
- Cool bread for 10 minutes in the loaf pan, then place bread on a wire rack to cool. Drizzle with icing.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.