I’m all about easy recipes that taste awesome… like these ever so EASY Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
I readily admit I’m not an avid baker of sweets, but that is starting to change. Since I turned 40 this summer, I’ve been craving sweets (cookies, cakes… you name it!) more and more.
Is that a “40 thing” or what?
What I love about THIS cupcake recipe is that it’s crazy easy. Using a boxed spice cake mix and canned pumpkin puree (along with a few other basic ingredients) yields the most perfectly pumpkin and spice flavored cupcakes… YES!!!
I did make my own cream cheese frosting and added toasted pecans on top (oh that was heavenly), but you can make these cupcakes even quicker if you have a favorite brand of ready-made cream cheese frosting.
And they smell so good while they’re baking! My new rescue dog, Baby, came into the kitchen with her nose in the air wanting to know where that sweet spicy smell was coming from.
Speaking of Baby, I think it’s safe to say she’s adjusting rather well to her new home. I’m seriously considering a larger couch, as she pretty much takes up the entire sitting area of the one I have. #bigdogproblems
Of course, I gave Baby just a little bite of a cupcake and she adores me even more. 🙂
This recipe is TOO EASY for you NOT to get your bake on this fall – no one will ever know it came from a box!
- 1 (16.25-ounce) spice cake mix
- 1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Prepared cream cheese frosting or use the frosting recipe below
- ¼ cup toasted pecans for topping (optional)
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered confectioner's sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in 24 muffin cups (or grease muffin cups).
- Blend cake mix, pumpkin puree, eggs, water and oil in a large bowl at low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into muffin cups evenly (about ¾ full).
- Bake for 19-22 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted is removed clean.
- Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl using electric mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until incorporated well. Increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes and top with toasted pecans, if desired.