During our recent trip to Ocracoke, I wanted to purchase a locally inspired cookbook to give away on the blog. I realize that most of you awesome readers are out of state & might not have had the “Outer Banks” dining experience yet! So, I’m giving away a copy of Cafe Atlantic Cookbook by Ruth Toth. Please see details at the end of this post on how to enter!
I must admit, I’ve not had the pleasure of dining at Cafe Atlantic. The reason being is that we always have our dog with us & it’s hard finding a “baby sitter” on the island…LOL! I’m definitely gonna make it happen next time, though.
While thumbing through the cookbook, this recipe caught my eye. I LOVE casseroles, especially with seafood. Cafe Atlantic’s version used mushrooms instead of corn. I happened to have 2 fresh ears of corn that needed some love & thought it would be good…oh my was it ever.
I cut the corn from the cob & sauteed it up with sliced scallions (green onions) & fresh dill. The recipe called for toasted croutons, but I had a bag of herb seasoned bread crumbs (stuffing mix), so that’s what I used in place of the croutons. Other ingredients were shredded sharp cheddar cheese, cubed cream cheese, crab meat, and egg mixture.
I’m gonna say it again: please buy your seafood & produce local if you can. Honey, the crab meat in this casserole sure ain’t from China (LOL!). It’s from my hard-working neighbors right here in NC.
All the ingredients are layered into a casserole dish. For you ditzy blondes like me (I admit it), I created a little step-by-step image on how to layer all of the ingredients to create the perfect crab & corn casserole:
Pop it in the oven & bake at 375 degrees (uncovered) for about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center is removed clean. My hubby has never been crazy about egg casseroles or quiche, & he even gave it a “thumbs up”. I will definitely be making this again. Who says eggs are just for breakfast? 🙂
Now, for the giveaway info…all you have to do to enter is leave a comment, telling me your favorite seafood dish, and/or if you’ve ever used seafood in a casserole. Entries are open to residents of US & Canada.
The winner will be randomly chosen (via Random.org) on Thursday, June 7, 2012. I hope the lucky winner enjoys this cookbook as much as I have :-). This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations Renee; lucky commenter #2!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⅓ cups fresh corn, cut from cob (about 2 ears), or canned corn (drained)
- 1½ cups herb seasoned bread crumbs (or stuffing)
- ⅔ cup sliced scallions (green onions, about 3)
- 2 teaspoons fresh or dried dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- (1) 8 ounce package cream cheese, cubed
- 2½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces crab meat (I used back fin crab meat)
- 8 large eggs
- 2½ cups milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over moderately high heat. Add corn, scallions, dill, salt & pepper. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk & garlic powder.
- In a 2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray, layer the ingredients: bread crumbs, cream cheese cubes, sauteed vegetable mixture, crab meat & cheddar cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over layered ingredients.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (uncovered), or until a knife inserted in the center is removed clean.