I love the combination of broccoli and cheese in just about anything, or by itself. Cheese is one of many of my food weaknesses, and if I can figure out a way to add it to a recipe… I’m on it.
I recently had some fresh broccoli left over from my Chicken Broccoli Casserole and used it in this oh so simple (and delicious!) side dish for Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa.
Here in the south, we don’t normally eat a lot of quinoa. I’m going to be frank and tell you I did not prepare (or eat) quinoa until I made this recipe for Quinoa and Chicken-Stuffed Zucchini Boats. I immediately fell in love with the taste.
I initially thought quinoa was a grain, but learned that it is actually a seed. It does, however, have a grainy taste and texture. The creaminess of the cheese and slight crunch of the broccoli makes this a perfect combination… not to mention it’s prepared in 20 minutes and in ONE pot!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups fresh chopped broccoli
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place quinoa, water and broccoli in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and simmer until water is absorbed (13-15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Cover and allow cheese to melt for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.