This easy Cajun Chicken Stew is so hearty, comforting and packed slam full of flavor!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
By using the meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken and a box of New Orleans style rice, this stew comes together in 35 minutes… and no one will EVER know you took those shortcuts!
The flavors in this chicken stew are incredible. I love cajun-style recipes (but don’t like them too overly spicy). If the spices from the rice aren’t enough for your taste, simply add some extra cajun seasoning to your liking.
This makes a huge pot and feeds around 6. It reheats well… I know because I’ve eaten on it for the last couple of days!
There’s nothing like a big pot of stew simmering on a cold day. If you’re a lover of all things cajun, you won’t be disappointed!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed thinly sliced into about 1-inch slices
- 1 cup sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- ¾ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups fully cooked shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8-ounce) package New Orleans Style Chicken Flavored Rice (I used Zatarain's)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add red pepper, celery, onions and garlic. Saute, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice and chicken broth. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, kidney beans and contents from rice package. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked and tender. Season with salt and pepper.