I don’t consider myself a picky eater at all, but there are just a few things about me involving food that might be considered that way. One of those things being that I dislike bananas with ANY hint of brown on the peel. So when that happens, I utilize my overripe brown bananas in this perfectly moist Banana Nut Bread recipe.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
I know several people that LOVE overripe brown bananas, but I just can’t eat them that way unless they’re baked in bread.
Maybe it’s the squishy texture? But I do my best not to throw food out, so I always try to recycle it.
I add walnuts to my banana bread, but you can add pecans or simply omit nuts altogether. Speaking of walnuts, I have always loved them but was allergic to them as a child. As a teenager I accidentally ate walnuts in some ice cream at a friend’s house — I was so worried I was going to swell up like a balloon but nothing happened! So I took a risk and ate them again a while later… I obviously grew out of the allergy because I’ve been able to eat them ever since (thank goodness!).
Chocolate chips are a great addition as well. Next time you have a few overripe bananas, bake up a loaf of this bread… You won’t be disappointed.
Happy baking! 🙂
- 3 overripe and browned bananas, peeled and mashed well with a fork (about 1 cup mashed)
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray or grease pan.
- Place mashed bananas in a large bowl. Add melted butter and stir well to combine. Add baking soda, salt, nutmeg, sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. Gradually add flour while continuing to stir until flour is well incorporated into mixture. Add walnuts and stir again until combined.
- Transfer the batter into loaf pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center is removed clean. Cool on a wire rack.