Now THIS is a pizza that you won’t feel guilty about eating… for real! This Summer Veggie Pizza with a Cauliflower Crust is as guilt-free as pizza gets.
I absolutely LOVE any kind of pizza and have always considered it my ultimate comfort food. Sometimes it’s awesome to be able to eat pizza without the guilt (or bloat) afterwards.
I recently found out that my boy, Chance, has a degenerative spinal condition called spinal myelopathy. His back legs would just go out from under him spontaneously… then he started peeing on himself at night. He’s the closest thing to a child that I have, so you know I’ve been a freakin’ wreck about it. The good news is that it’s not painful at all, and they were able to give him meds for the pee pee accidents. Something to do with losing sensation both in his legs and his bladder.
I know he’s getting old and has lived a long life for a boxer (he will be 12 next month!). I know the day will come when a decision will have to be made so that he can maintain his doggy dignity. But for now, he’s in no obvious pain and gets around fairly well for an old boy. Yesterday I made him a big pot of beef liver, venison burger, brown rice, carrots, spinach and pumpkin purée that he’ll have for his meals the next few days. I’d say he’s a lucky boy.
And then I made myself this awesome Summer Vegetable Pizza with a Cauliflower Crust… ’cause I needed some comforting. I used this Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe and added fresh summer vegetables. You can add whatever you’d like. I loved the combination of zucchini, mushrooms, onions and red bell pepper. Oh, and lots of cheese. Tweak it to whatever you’re in the mood for!
- Cauliflower pizza crust (recipe here)
- ½ cup pizza sauce (more or less, to taste)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (more or less, to taste)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini (about ½ of an average-sized zucchini)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- ½ cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- Bake cauliflower pizza crust according to directions.
- While crust is baking, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Sauté zucchini and mushrooms for 3 minutes or until slightly tender, set aside.
- Remove crust from oven and change oven setting to "broil".
- Spread sauce over the crust and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the crust. Top with zucchini, mushrooms, onions and red bell pepper. Return to oven and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.