So, you guys are probably wondering if I cook anymore. Truth is, I’ve had a few life changes and haven’t cooked as much as I normally do. But now that I’m all settled and cooler weather is upon us, it’s on.
I joke that every winter, I get my extra layer of “winter fluff”. I can’t help it; my love for comfort food takes over as the temperature drops. Somehow, exercise has helped to keep it under control.
Let’s hope this year is not an exception.
I recently experimented with making homemade Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies. My love for Nutella makes my mind race thinking of ways I can integrate it into everyday foods. I have a few more ideas…but for now, it’s cookies I’m concerned with. 🙂
Of course, I start with my beloved KitchenAid mixer. On medium speed, I mixed butter (at room temperature), Nutella Hazelnut Spread, egg (and an egg yolk), vanilla extract, light brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy (about 1 minute).
In a large bowl, I whisked together all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then I slowly added it to the Nutella butter mixture in the mixer, mixing slowly until all the ingredients were incorporated. Semi-sweet chocolate chips were added last, and I used a large spoon to stir them into the cookie dough.
Using a cookie scoop, I placed the dough about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If you don’t have a cookie scoop, it equals out to about a tablespoon. Flatten the dough using the back of a spoon. I also added some extra chocolate chips on top of the dough for the “pretty factor”. 🙂
Bake in a 325 degree preheated oven for approximately 14 minutes, or until cookies are browned around the edges.
Cool on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cookie wire rack. Repeat with your remaining cookie dough. Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Nutella Hazelnut Spread
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking/cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixer on medium speed, mix butter, sugars, vanilla & Nutella until smooth, about 1 minute. Add egg & egg yolk and mix again until blended.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt until combined well. Slowly add flour mixture to butter/Nutella mixture, beating on low speed until incorporated well.
- Add chocolate chips last, stirring with a large spoon to evenly distribute throughout dough.
- Place batter onto cookie sheet using a cookie scoop, or by level tablespoons. Using the back of a spoon, flatten dough.
- Bake for approximately 14 minutes, or until edges of cookies are browned. Cool on the cookie sheet & transfer to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.