There is nothing more special to me than someone taking the time to be thoughtful. My new awesome friend brought me an old family cookbook to read…how cool is that? And it’s chock full of good stuff! One recipe, in particular, caught my eye: Curry Shrimp Dip.
I figured with football season getting into full swing it’d be a perfect appetizer recipe to share with you all.
The cookbook that this recipe is from is Our Daily Bread from the First Lutheran Church Women.
Can you tell how old it is? This book was published before I was born! Yikes! And if you’ll read the short recipe, it certainly isn’t “blonde-friendly”.
“A little bit of this, a small amount of that...”
So I broke it down for you all. You’re welcome.
The original recipe calls for “one can of shrimp”. But y’all know me…I buy my shrimp local; especially now with their abundance. I steamed and peeled 1 pound of medium sized shrimp which yielded 2 cups of chopped cooked shrimp.
Start by layering a mixture of cream cheese, mayonnaise and curry powder in the bottom of a pie dish or something similar. I chose to use this old dish given to me by my mom since the recipe came from such an old book.
Next, layer the chopped cooked shrimp.
Then sprinkle some sliced green onions on top of the shrimp…
Guess what comes next? Chopped boiled eggs! I almost left this layer out, thinking the combination might not be so stellar. I was wrong. It rocked! Oh, and here’s my simple way of boiling eggs if you need it.
Lastly, layer chopped fresh parsley on top. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors mingle and serve with your favorite crackers. I admit, I tasted it immediately and no mingling was required for my taste buds.
- (1) 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups chopped cooked shrimp
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 4 large boiled eggs, peeled & chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Your favorite crackers
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, mayonnaise & curry powder to combine well. Spread into the bottom of a pie dish.
- Layer shrimp, green onions & chopped boiled eggs. Sprinkle pepper over boiled eggs.
- Top with chopped parsley. Serve with your favorite crackers.
Recipe adapted from Our Daily Bread Cookbook, Mrs. Phil Hedenstrom