Strawberries are abundant while in season where I live. When I was a kid, my Papa and Grandma used to take me to a local strawberry farm and let me pick and pick until my heart was content. While shopping in the produce section of the grocery store the other day, a little box of strawberries caught my eye. Then mangoes. Then a big fresh pineapple. Then kiwi.
Well, you get the picture……
What I call my tropical fruit salsa is soooo easy to make. I serve this salsa with homemade cinnamon chips ~ they’re just as easy to make too!
All you do is pop open a package of flour tortillas, brush them with melted butter, sprinkle a mixture of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg on them, slice with a pizza cutter ~ then bake for about 8 minutes! Yeah! I have to rotate my pan half-way through baking to make sure they brown evenly—but I have an old ghetto stove …just be sure to check yours just in case!
Even with my little old stove, they browned beautifully. I guess I shouldn’t pick on it; that old stove has been good to me so far.
I hope you enjoy this luscious little fruit salsa recipe as much as I do!
- 1 package flour tortilla shells (16 shells, 8 inch tortillas)
- 1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup), melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks (fresh or canned, drained)
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped coarsely (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 kiwis, peeled, sliced and chopped coarsely (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped coarsely
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Optional: mint sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg. Brush tortillas with butter. Sprinkle cinnamon mixture over tortillas. Slice into 4 triangles using a pizza cutter.
- Place in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for approximately 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven & place tortillas on a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- In a medium bowl, combine pineapple, kiwi, strawberries & mango; gently stirring with a spoon. Drizzle honey & lime juice over salsa; stir again gently to combine.
- Optional: garnish with mint sprigs.
Adapted from OurBestBites.com