On Sundays, my husband and I like to eat at an awesome restaurant on the Morehead City water front where we live in NC. Yesterday was our “Sunday Funday”, & I had one of the most phenomenal sandwiches E-V-E-R.
Who would have thought? Blackened shrimp on a BLT ~ and the bread was that sweet Hawaiian bread ~ and there was a yummy red pepper aioli sauce on it. I was nice and did give my husband a bite , and I also make it today for our lunch. Yes, it was that good I could eat it again & again!
Start with frying up some crispy bacon slices–about 3 slices for each sandwich. This recipe is good for about 4 sandwiches, so I fried 12 slices of bacon. If you like more bacon on your BLTs, then by all means, fry up some more! Then set aside the fried bacon while you prepare the shrimp for blackening.
Toss about 3/4 pound of large shrimp (that are peeled, deveined & rinsed) with blackening seasoning & coat evenly. The blackening seasoning I used was Sandy Creek Herb Co. brand & was really good….I liked it because it wasn’t crazy hot.
Over high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet. Place shrimp in skillet (one layer) and cook for approximately 2 minutes on each side. That’s how long it took for my shrimp to cook up perfectly. One thing to remember is that even when you take the shrimp out of the pan, they’re still very hot and continue to cook. Place on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining shrimp (you’ll probably need to melt another tablespoon of butter!).
I just loved the taste of the sweet Hawaiian bread on this sandwich. I found it in the deli section of my local grocery store. Did you know that if you purchase packaged bread that is not sliced, they will slice it for you in the deli? Well, I didn’t know until someone told me .
Now you’re ready to roll with layering everything: bacon, shrimp, tomato, lettuce and your choice of condiment(s). Red pepper aioli sauce REALLY is the finishing touch on this sandwich. I’m sure plain ole’ mayo would be good too! Enjoy!
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined and rinsed
- 12 slices of bacon, fried crispy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices Hawaiian bread (or bread of your choice)
- Blackening seasoning
- Tomato slices
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained & patted dry with a paper towel
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dash of tabasco sauce
- Pepper, to taste
- Fry bacon slices crispy & set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Toss shrimp in blackening seasoning--coat well.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in skillet over high heat.
- Place one layer of shrimp in skillet; cook for approximately 2 minutes on each side.
- Repeat with remaining butter & shrimp.
- Place shrimp on paper towel lined plate.
- Toast bread (optional).
- Layer bacon, shrimp, tomato, lettuce and choice of condiment(s).
- Using food processor, pulse garlic clove first.
- Add (in this order) roasted red peppers, olive oil, tabasco, mayonnaise & pepper; pulsing each time an ingredient is added until mixed well.